Willkommen, schön sind Sie da!
Logo Ex Libris

Canal engineers

  • Kartonierter Einband
  • 40 Seiten
(0) Erste Bewertung abgegeben
Bewertungen
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
(0)
Alle Bewertungen ansehen
Source: Wikipedia. Pages: 38. Chapters: William Smith, Thomas Telford, John Smeaton, John Rennie the Elder, James Brindley, Willi... Weiterlesen
CHF 21.50
Print on demand - Exemplar wird für Sie besorgt.

Beschreibung

Klappentext

Source: Wikipedia. Pages: 38. Chapters: William Smith, Thomas Telford, John Smeaton, John Rennie the Elder, James Brindley, William Jessop, John L. Savage, George Turnbull, James Green, Louis Maurice Adolphe Linant de Bellefonds, Benjamin Outram, John Frank Stevens, Hugh Henshall, Thomas Leiper, Thomas Steers, Francis Giles, Thomas Dadford, Jr., Edwin Clark, Edward Leader Williams, John Gilbert, William Bennet, Ximen Bao, William Hamond Bartholomew, William Weston, Canvass White, George W. Buck, George Hayne, George Robert Jebb, Sir Nigel Gresley, 6th Baronet, James Morgan, Henry Berry, Richard Weston, John Hore, Hugues Cosnier, Thomas Oakes, Kanwar Sen, Nicol Hugh Baird, John Dadford, Josias Jessop, Guillaume Boutheroue, Alfred Barrett, David du Bose Gaillard, James Dadford, John Williams. Excerpt: Thomas Telford FRS, FRSE (1757-1834) was a Scottish civil engineer, architect and stonemason, and a noted road, bridge and canal builder. Telford was born on 9 August 1757 at Glendinning, a hill farm 3 miles west of Eskdalemuir Kirk, in the rural parish of Westerkirk, in Eskdale, Dumfriesshire. His father John Telford, a shepherd, died soon after Thomas was born. Thomas was raised in poverty by his mother Janet Jackson (d.1794). At the age of 14 he was apprenticed to a stonemason, and some of his earliest work can still be seen on the bridge across the River Esk in Langholm in the Scottish borders. He worked for a time in Edinburgh and in 1782 he moved to London where (after meeting architects Robert Adam and Sir William Chambers) he was involved in building additions to Somerset House there. Two years later he found work at Portsmouth dockyard and - although still largely self-taught - was extending his talents to the specification, design and management of building projects. In 1787, through his wealthy patron William Pulteney, he became Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire. Civil engineering was a discipline still in its infancy, so Telford was set on establishing himself as an architect. His projects included renovation of Shrewsbury Castle, the town's prison (during the planning of which he met leading prison reformer John Howard), the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Bridgnorth and another church in Madeley. (Called in to advise on a leaking roof at St Chad's Church Shrewsbury in 1788, he correctly warned the church was in imminent danger of collapse; his reputation was made locally when it collapsed 3 days later, but he was not the architect for its replacement). As the Shropshire county surveyor, Telford was also responsible for bridges. In 1790 he designed a bridge carrying the London-Holyhead road over the River Severn at Montford, the first of some 40 bridges he built in Shropshire, including major crossings of the Severn at Buildwas, and Bridgnorth. The b

Produktinformationen

Titel: Canal engineers
Untertitel: William Smith, Thomas Telford, John Smeaton, John Rennie the Elder, James Brindley, William Jessop, John L. Savage, George Turnbull, James Green, Louis Maurice Adolphe Linant de Bellefonds, Benjamin Outram, John Frank Stevens
Editor:
EAN: 9781155872919
ISBN: 1155872916
Format: Kartonierter Einband
Genre: Geschichte
Anzahl Seiten: 40
Gewicht: 222g
Größe: H246mm x B189mm x T2mm
Jahr: 2011

Bewertungen

Gesamtübersicht

Meine Bewertung

Bewerten Sie diesen Artikel


Zuletzt angesehen
Verlauf löschen